Families and Children
- Program Description
- Providers and Pharmacies
- Prescription Drug Benefits
- Cost Sharing (copays/deductibles/premiums)
- Appeals and Grievances (complaints)
- Member Outreach
- Contact Us
- Member Web Portal
- Language Resources and Accessibility
Questions? Need help? Call Member Services! All calls during business hours are answered by a person, not a machine. We're here to help you. You can also go to the PrimeWest Health Member Web Portal to get more information about your services, to contact us, or to ask for print copies of your member materials.
Families and Children provides health care and prescription drug coverage for pregnant women, children under age 21, and adults under age 65 who have Medical Assistance (Medicaid). People apply for Medical Assistance (Medicaid) through their county Social/Human/Family/Tribal services office or at www.MNsure.org.
To get the most up-to-date information about the Medical Assistance (Medicaid) program, go to the Minnesota Department of Human Services (DHS) website.
To apply for Medical Assistance (Medicaid) coverage, contact the Social/Human/Family Services department for your county or the Tribal office or apply online at www.MNsure.org. If you are found eligible for Medical Assistance (Medicaid), you will be able to enroll in PrimeWest Health Families and Children for your covered services if you live in our service area. Our service area includes the following counties: Beltrami, Big Stone, Clearwater, Douglas, Grant, Hubbard, McLeod, Meeker, Pipestone, Pope, Renville, Stevens, and Traverse.
To learn about the benefits and coverage provided by Families and Children, read the Member Handbook. It gives details about the health care services we cover. It tells how to get your health care as a PrimeWest Health Families and Children member. It also explains the rights, benefits, and responsibilities of members.
PrimeWest Health has made an organization determination when it makes a decision about whether items or services are covered or how much you have to pay for covered items or services. Organization determinations are also called “coverage decisions” in the Member Handbook. Standard organization determinations are made as quickly as the member’s health condition requires and not more than 14 calendar days (10 business days) from the date we get the request. Expedited organization determinations are made as quickly as the member’s health condition requires and not more than 72 hours from the date we get the request. Expedited organization determinations are for cases where the provider or PrimeWest Health decides that following the standard time frame could seriously jeopardize the member’s life or health, or ability to attain, maintain, or regain maximum function. You can ask for an organization determination in either of the following ways:
- By Phone
If you call us, we will need to get more information from your health care provider. Start by calling Member Services.
- By Mail or Fax
You and your health care provider can print and fax or mail the Medical Service Authorization Request Form. Your provider can download the form from the Service Authorization page of our website. The form should be sent to:
Mail: PrimeWest Health Service Authorization
3905 Dakota St
Alexandria, MN 56308
Fax: 1-866-431-0804 (toll free)
Providers and Pharmacies
- Read the Provider and Pharmacy Directory to see a full list of health care providers (including specialists) in the PrimeWest Health network.
- Use our online search feature to see if a specific provider is in the PrimeWest Health network.
- Use our online search feature to see if a specific pharmacy is in the PrimeWest Health network.
Prescription Drug Benefits
- To see if specific prescription drugs are covered by PrimeWest Health Families and Children, see the List of Covered Drugs or use our online search feature. Note: If you have other insurance coverage, contact that insurance plan for information about its drug coverage. If you have Medicare, you must enroll in a Medicare Prescription Drug Plan (Part D) to get most of your prescription drug services. PrimeWest Health will not pay for any Part D eligible drugs when you have Medicare through another plan.
- To see if your drug is considered a specialty drug, see our Specialty Drug List. You must use MedImpact Direct Specialty network to fill specialty drug prescriptions. The Specialty Drug List tells how to do this. If you or your provider have questions, call 1-855-873-8739 (toll free; TTY 711).
- To see if any of your over-the-counter drugs are covered by PrimeWest Health Families and Children, use our online search feature. The items included there are covered when you have a prescription from your health care provider or pharmacist.
- If the drug you are taking is not on our List of Covered Drugs, read the Member Handbook to find out what you can do. This includes instructions for both new and current members.
- If you want help managing your prescription drugs, read about our Medication Therapy Management Program and its eligibility requirements.
Restrictions on covered drugs
Some drugs have restrictions on coverage. The restrictions are called Utilization Management (UM) programs. UM programs include Prior Authorization, Quantity Limits, and Step Therapy. Read more about our Utilization Management programs.
You may ask for an exception to the drug coverage and restriction rules by using the Formulary Exception Form. Note: This form must be completed by a health care provider. You can also submit an online Formulary Exception.
Cost Sharing (copays/deductibles/premiums)
Appeals and Grievances (complaints)
If you disagree with a decision or have a complaint about your health care, services, or coverage, you may file a Grievance (complaint) or Appeal. You may use the online PrimeWest Health Member Appeal and Grievance Form to submit your Grievance or health plan Appeal. If you do not agree with the outcome of your health plan Appeal, you can request a State Appeal (State Fair Hearing). Read more about the processes for doing any of these things in the Member Handbook.
PrimeWest Health hosts stakeholder meetings for our members. These meetings give members and their advocates and providers a chance to learn about their benefits and how to navigate the health care system. Members, advocates, and providers share their ideas, opinions, concerns, and suggestions about the services offered by PrimeWest Health. This stakeholders’ group has helped PrimeWest Health identify and put in place changes to provide better service to our members. If you want to see a copy of the minutes from the stakeholders’ meetings, call Member Services.
|Call:||Member Services: 1-866-431-0801 |
TTY users: 1-800-627-3529 or 711
Hours are Monday – Friday, 8 a.m. – 8 p.m.
Utilization Management: 1-866-431-0803
Questions about where to get services, getting authorization for services, or restrictions on prescription drugs
Hours are Monday – Friday, 8 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
Calls to all of these numbers are free.
|Email:||To contact Member Services through secure email, sign in to the Member Web Portal.|
Member Web Portal
- Ask for a new member ID card
- Update your member information
- Complete a Health Risk Assessment and use online tools to keep you healthy
- Ask to have disease management or care management services
- Ask questions
- Ask for materials
- View services that need authorization
- View eligibility and claims status
- Find information about copays, drug-drug interactions, and drugs’ common side effects
How does our website work for you? If you have comments, questions, or feedback about our website, please call Member Services. We look forward to hearing from you!